Long time readers will probably recall my love of photo scavenger hunts, exploring hidden gems of neighborhoods, the excuse for a fun date night (or afternoon), and the chance to win amazing prizes. So when I came across a local activity that combined all four of those entirely great things, I thought it would be worthwhile to share. Especially because there are $2,200 worth of (nominally) wedding prizes (of the entirely rad "night in a luxury hotel" sort and not the "win free favors!" sort) and another $2,200 worth of entirely non-wedding centric (but equally rad) prizes that you can win just by having a good date afternoon, neighborhood-exploring time.
The Marina Del Rey Visitors Bureau, in a brilliant attempt to demonstrate all the local treasures in the area, has designed a prize-laden photo scavenger hunt contest through the neighborhood called Hit Me With Your Best Shot. The digital photo hunt gives participants a list of photo missions at the Marina's iconic and quirky landmarks, divided loosely into three competitive categories: Wedding (or generally just romantic stuff), Foodie, or Family. The grand prize in each category will be awarded to a randomly chosen participant who completes all ten missions in their category.
Wedding PrizesYou have six weeks to complete up to 10 photo missions, with contest accepting entries through October 27. Do them all in one day or take a few weekends. You can only choose one category:
(1) Bed & Breakfast Overnight at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
(1) Sunday Brunch for 2 at Jer-Ne at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
(1) $50 Dinner Certificate for Vu Restaurant at Jamaica Bay Inn
(3) Double kayak rentals at Marina Boat Rentals
(1) $50 Gift Card for Dinner at Vu Restaurant at Jamaica Bay Inn
(1) Room Night at Marina International Hotel
(2) Friday Dinner Blues Cruise with Hornblower Cruises & Event
(1) $300 Gift Card for Meal at Café del Rey
(1) $50 Gift Card for Group Lunch at Tony P’s Dockside Grill
(4) Saturday Night Dinner Cruises with Hornblower Cruises & Events
(1) Room Night at Jamaica Bay Inn
(2) Friday Dinner Blues Cruise with Hornblower Cruises & Events
(1) $50 Towards a Meal at Mendocino Farms Sandwiches & Marketplace
(1) Dinner for Two at Jer-Ne at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey
- Download the Wedding mission here.
- Download the Foodie mission here
- Download the Family mission here
To participate, you have to RSVP to here. Submit your photos one-by-one or as a collection via Facebook or Twitter. When you complete all 10 Missions under a category, you’re entered to win grand prizes. The winner will be randomly selected and announced on Facebook, Twitter and the Visit Marina del Rey Blog on Nov. 10, 2010. Please note that by submitting photos for Hit Me With Your Best Shot, participants agree to the rules of the contest.
This is not a sponsored post. I just really like excuses for adventuring and ridiculousness, and I like them even more when there are prizes involved, so I decided to share. In fact, I'm probably going to participate in this contest myself, because why the heck wouldn't I? Who doesn't want a free romantic night in a hotel, or a free romantic dinner, or the chance to have fun in kayaks with friends?Also, we're seriously thinking of doing our hotel block in the Marina, because we need easy access to PCH and it's more affordable than Venice or Santa Monica hotels and still has walkable fun. So this should definitely help us find some "around town" recommendations.