- It's in one of the Malibu canyons with views over rolling hills (no ocean views, but I like mountains and trees better anyhow). You wouldn't know you were anywhere near Los Angeles, and yet we also have all the city's amenities right at our fingertips
- We can have the ceremony and reception at the same location. Yeah for convenient and eco-friendly.
- The outdoor views are stunning and the indoor space is authentically rustic and charming. If an event stylist got ahold of the location, it would no doubt be gussied up like a so-called Anthropologie-themed affair. When I get ahold of it, my mishmash of thrifted low key decor ideas should work nicely.
- The event fees will go to support a number of community programs, including scholarships for local kids to participate in art and enrichment programs.
- There are some restrictions (beer and wine only, no open flames outside, Sunday reception music shuts down by 10pm) but overall, they're pretty laid back.
- 150 should fit well for a reception + dance party. More than that and I think the space might be too cramped.
- It's affordable. Like HIGH FIVE NOW ALL MY OBSESSIVE GOOGLE RESEARCH REALLY WORKED OUT levels of affordable. Like, the site manager actually said to me that they strive to make things affordable and can't imagine wanting to exploit people at an emotionally vulnerable time (she mentioned weddings and funeral/memorials) for economic gain.
- Deer greeted us as we drove out. Deer!
- We got the "Yes, we belong here" feeling the moment we arrived.
Check back in a year or so for the full listing of information and photos. But from now until then, I'll be working to share all the other great affordable venue options I found around the city, because I'm tired of the year-long google insanity we each need to go through here in L.A. to find something that's affordably priced. I found a ton of great places that don't show up on Here Comes the Guide, Project Wedding or the Knot. Now that my own venue search is over, it seems almost seems wasteful that I file the information away on my personal computer instead of putting it into a coherent, searchable form that can benefit other local couples.
If you have an amazing local venue find that you want to share, leave me a note in the comments or email me at alosangeleslove at gmail dot com. I'm starting to pull together local venue search resources for those of us without $5K to spend on an empty room and would love your input too.
View from Malibu Canyon - It's not our exact site, but it's just a few miles away and has a similar landscape